Soak the cashews for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cups chopped celery, about 1 head
- 2 large russet potatoes, scrubbed and chopped (you do not need to peel)
- ½ cup raw cashews (soaked, see Prep Notes – measure before soaking)
- 4 cups veggie broth or stock
- ½ cup white wine (optional)*
- 1 Tablespoon herbes de Provence (or herbs of your choice – i.e. thyme, rosemary)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Dash cayenne
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
- Sauté onion in olive oil until just turning translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
- Add in celery, potatoes, cashews,broth, wine and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer about 15 minutes, until potatoes are soft.
- With immersion blender, blend until smooth. **
- Garnish with parsley, if desired.
* If you don’t want to use wine, you can omit it and just add a another ½ cup of water and squeeze some lemon or add 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and 1/4 cup water.
** If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can put this in your blender, but do let it cool off first and then you can reheat the soup before serving.