30 minutes (+ 1 hour for salting and draining eggplant)
Sprinkle both sides of eggplant slices liberally with coarse salt; let drain in a colander for 1 hour. Rinse off excess salt and squeeze out water between layers of paper towels.
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced 1/4″ thick, salted and drained – see Prep Notes
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium yellow bell peppers, cored and sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick
- 2 medium zucchini, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 15-ounce can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Roma tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup grated Asiago cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Coat a 2 1/2–quart casserole with cooking spray.
- Layer half of the eggplant, onions, peppers, and zucchini in casserole dish.
- Cover with all of the kale and beans, and spread with half of the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with half of the garlic and half of the dried herbs.
- Repeat layering process (omitting kale and beans).
- Press down gently and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 1 hour, or until vegetables are very tender.
- Remove foil.
- Combine parsley and cheese in a small bowl and sprinkle over vegetables.
- Return to oven and cook for 5 minutes longer, until cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.
This can be made ahead of time, up to step 9 (However, reduce baking time to 45 minutes.) Bring to room temperature before reheating. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake for 15 minutes, covered and then continue from step 9.