- 4 cups water
- 4 oz (about 4”) fresh turmeric root, scrubbed, not peeled
- 4 oz (about 4”) fresh ginger root, scrubbed, not peeled
- Juice of 4 lemons
- Honey – to taste
- Chai spices – to taste (or at least a bit of black or white pepper to taste)*
- Coconut oil – optional – (1/2 – 1 teaspoon per serving)**
As a cool drink –
- Fill saucepan with water.
- Chop the ginger and turmeric roots into 1″ pieces and add to water.
- Bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer, gently, for about 1 ½ – 2 hours.
- Turn off heat and let cool in pan.
- When cool, strain into a glass container.
- Add the lemon juice honey and chai spices or pepper* (omit the coconut oil)**
- Keep refrigerated and drink 5-6 oz every morning.
As a hot tea –
- Steps 1-5 remain the same.
- When ready to drink, gently warm 4-5 oz of the “tea”.
- Add juice of ½ lemon.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of honey, chai spices or pepper* and coconut oil.**
When it’s warm, it makes a nice, warming start to your winter morning, or a warming bedtime drink on a cold winter night.
*If you’re not using chai spices, you do want to add pepper to help the turmeric absorb into the system.
**The coconut oil will solidify if used in the cold drink – so not really a good option for that. If drinking cold, try to have with something that does have a little fat in it (a nut or two!) to help the turmeric absorb in your system.