- 3 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans, divided
- 4 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 bulb fennel, bulb and stalks chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons powdered rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 10 ounces chopped kale
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley, paprika – can also add grated parmesan and a splash of lemon
- Rinse and drain 1 can of beans. Place the beans in a blender or food processor with 1 cup of the broth. Blend until smooth and set aside. Rinse and drain the remaining beans and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and fennel. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the pureed bean mixture, whole beans, remaining broth, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- When the soup is nice and hot, add the kale and cover for 10 minutes. Stir the kale into the hot broth until it’s wilted. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with a little fresh parsley and paprika, if desired.
Adapted, with gratitude, from Love and Lemons