- 2 tablespoonss olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- 3 Tblsp Bragg’s Amino Acids (from Mother’s) (less if there’s salt in the vegetable broth)
- 8 oz red lentils
- 2 Tblsp ground cumin
- 2 Tblsp oregano
- 1 Tblsp cinnamon (Ceylon)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like it spicier)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Smoked African Pepper (Trader Joe’s) or regular pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in garlic and onion, carrots and celery.
- Cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and vegetable broth, amino acids and a splash of red wine or balsamic vinegar.
- Add cumin, cayenne, oregano, cinnamon and pepper
- Simmer until the lentils and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- If desired, puree the soup with a stick blender until smooth.
- Stir in cilantro and lemon juice before serving.