Cook quinoa ahead of time – Bring quinoa, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender,about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 15 (or more) minutes, until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy. Fluff with a fork. Let cool.
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 c fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large cucumber or 3 Persian cucumbers, cut into 1/4″ pieces (I do these unpeeled, but you can peel them if you like)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced
- Whisk lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl.
- Gradually whisk in olive oil.
- Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix in 1/4 cup of the dressing in with the prepared quinoa.
- Add cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, and scallions to bowl with quinoa; toss to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle remaining dressing over (if desired) and toss again.
- This can be partially made 1 day ahead, up through step 9.
- Cover the quinoa and remaining dressing separately; refrigerate.
- The next day, add the vegetables and remaining dressing, if desired.