20 minutes (plus time for soaking cashews)
- 12 oz Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 4 oz kale, large stems discarded. (Save for juicing, smoothies or broth) – I like Lacinto or Tuscan kale, but curly kale works too!
- ¼ lb parmesan cheese (For vegan – use VEGAN “PARMESAN”)
- ½ cup dry roasted pistachios (salted or unsalted)
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 large or 2 small fuji apple(s), chopped (add right before serving)
- 1 shallot
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup no sugar added cranberry juice
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- In food processor, shred the Brussels sprouts and the kale. Set aside in a large salad bowl.
- Chop the parmesan cheese (in same processor.) Set aside.
- Make the salad dressing by putting all of the vinaigrette ingredients into the food processor. Process until shallots are finely chopped.
- Toss the salad with the vinaigrette. Let sit for about 30-45 minutes*.
- Right before serving, add parmesan, pistachio nuts, pomegranate seeds and apple and toss with kale/brussels sprouts mixture.
- Taste and season with additional salt & pepper if needed.
• This salad tastes better the longer it marinates in the dressing if you have time. If not, it will still be good if made just before serving.
• If you’d like to up the protein in this dish, you could add 1-2 cups cooked red (or white, or rainbow) quinoa.