- •4 cups water
- 4 oz (about 4”) fresh turmeric root
- 4 oz (about 4”) fresh ginger root
- 2 Tablespoons Chai spices – (or 2 teaspoons of black peppercorns and 4 cinnamon sticks)
- Juice of 4 lemons
- 3 tablespoons of honey (or to taste)
- Coconut oil – optional – (1/2 teaspoon per serving) **
As a cool drink –
- Fill saucepan with water.
- Scrub (you don’t need to peel) the ginger and turmeric roots
- Chop turmeric and ginger root into about ¼ inch pieces
- Add turmeric, ginger, and chai spices to the water.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer, gently, for about 1 ½ hours.
- Turn off heat and let cool in pan.
- When cool, strain into a glass container
- Add lemon and honey
- Keep refrigerated and drink 4-6 oz every morning.
As a warm tea –
- Steps 1-7 remain the same.
- When ready to drink, gently warm 4-6 oz of the “tea”. Add juice of ¼ – ½ lemon. Stir in ½ – 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Add ½ teaspoon of coconut oil, if desired*.
When it’s warm, it makes a nice, warming start to your winter morning, or a warming bedtime drink on a cold winter night.
*If you’re not using chai spices, you do want to add pepper to help the turmeric absorb into the system.
**The coconut oil will solidify if used in the cold drink – so not really a good option for that. If drinking cold, try to have with something that does have a little fat in it (a nut or two!) to help the turmeric absorb in your system.